Monday, February 27, 2006

Mommy takes middle age by storm!

IMG_0305

What a great birthday! I got to spend it with my two favorite people, Josh and Lila. In the morning, we had delicious homemade waffles, and lots of presents that Lila helped me open, including the new David Foster Wallace book, a new Cat Power CD that I already love, and two of my favorite Roald Dahl books, "Danny the Champion of the World" and "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More"...which I can't wait to read to Lila in about 9 years. Nana and Pop Pop sent a great alpaca shawl from Peru and Nana Ann and Poppy sent a pashmina - real! - from India. And there were also lots of cookie cutters from Steph, David and the girls - all the letters of the alphabet and some adorable ladies' clothing and shoes cutters that we will have to make use of ASAP.

I have also been scheming for cowboy boots for over a year now, and Josh finally stepped in and ordered some, maneuvering brilliantly by contacting some of my Austin, Texas relatives and getting the skinny on some good old fashioned PINK boots.


IMG_0306

Last night, Josh and I went out to dinner and took in "Syriana" which we both liked very much, though I slept terribly later, and I'm still not sure if it was the disturbing elements of the movie or the fact that I had a cheese plate for desert following an extremely rich and filling meal.

All and all it turns out Sunday is a great day for a birthday because over the course of the weekend there was much celebrating to be had, and I got a free pass on every poopy diaper that materialized.

And I'm already looking forward to the next four months, as Josh takes every opportunity to make jokes about me being old, forgetful, deaf and dotty, till he joins me at the ripe age of 37 on June 24th.


IMG_0307

But seriously, I must take a moment to ask how did I get here? How did I stumble upon exactly the most perfect life trajectory that these two wonderful people would be mine to share? My hilarious, talented husband; my sweet, loving daughter? They fill up my heart every day with their good natures, humor and decency, and believe me, I am grateful for it. They are everything to me.

Thanks for a great birthday, my family!

No comments: