Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Lila's 3rd Birthday party



Lila turns three on Friday, and we celebrated her birthday with 10 of her friends on Sunday at our house.




First, a note on the theme, which was based on a favorite children's book of Lila's, "I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!" by Kevin Sherry. The book is relatively new, but it's the very funny story and amusing for us to adapt to the party. Lila got a big kick out of it, but since none of the other kids really know the book, it came across as a general ocean theme.





The star of the book is a giant squid, or, as Lila says, a giant "squig".




Aunt Catherine and I made posters and murals, goody bags, and a giant squid cake.




The entertainment was provided by Randy Kaplan, a talented and funny local musician, whom Lila adores. He puts on a great show for both adults and kids.




Lila and Roan had pretty good seats.




LiLi prepares to steal Kofi's Soy Chips.




Lev and Lilly.




This is Charlotte, who is also in playgroup.




And this is Julian, from playgroup. Lila always comes home from playgroup with a story about Julian that inevitably goes this way: "Julian, he's a funny boy. Today he put [insert any noun here] on his head." In this instance, he went for laughs with two party hats at once. And I have to agree, Julian is a funny boy.




Lunch was pizza.




Eliza, her big brother Owen, and their mom, Molly.




And here is Aunt Catherine's Giant Squid cake. What a masterpiece. The legs are pretzel sticks covered in frosting. The eyeballs - which were a big hit - were gummy candy.




Lila was pretty scared of the cake at first, so her friends helped her blow out the candles.




Once she realized it wasn't a real squid, she got very excited about it. And then mayhem ensued as kids grabbed the pretzel legs off the cake and started eating them. Everyone had blue lips and dilated pupils from the sugar high.




The party ended around 2 PM. This picture is from after dinner - she refused to take off her crown and dress until bedtime. We think she had a pretty good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great Birthday party you had, Lila. Love, Aunt Claude

Tarz said...

What a sweet theme, and I love the squid cake! Happy birthday, Lila!

RachelleCentral said...

Ha! Our Julian is pretty funny, too. Don't know if I mentioned that we had 80 people over for our birthday party. (Around 1/3 were kids.) Needless to say, I won't be doing THAT again. Yours looks like more fun! (I think Julian was too overwhelmed at his, and I should've seen the writing on the wall, because a week before his birthday he asked me not to invite TOO many people to his party!)

Anonymous said...

What a great party, Lila. Happy birthday!